North Leeds Fell Runners are the only local club that regularly trains off-road all year round and we like to get up to the local hills as regularly as we can.
We have a provisional programme of runs and the latest schedule can be found here (downloadable pdf), but we usually confirm the locations of our weekly training runs on a Monday and this is announced on our club weekly update, which anyone is welcome to sign up to.
We run for about an hour and normally have at least two running groups out. Depending on the route and terrain, the faster group will cover around 6-8miles (9-14km) and the steadier group around around 5-7miles (8-12km), and we always re-group at regular intervals, ensuring no-one is left too far behind!
We welcome all runners to join us on our hill runs, although we do recommend that you have a little off-road running experience, and if possible some fell-running experience, as we do train on technical terrain which can be muddy and rocky in places. In the winter months (Sept – Apr) it will be dark and you will need a headtorch. If you don’t have one, the club has some spares, but please get in touch first if you do need to borrow one. You will also need to bring some safety kit – please see our training page for more details.
There is no obligation to join us as a member to train with us (although we’d be delighted if you decide eventually to do so – and you can do so here). Please consider our social membership if you do want to run with us regularly (the princely annual sum is £5).
Our usual meeting points for runs on the hills are as follows:
- The Hermit Inn, Moor Rd, Burley in Wharfedale, Ilkley LS29 7AS (w3w: ///sway.recapture.galloping)
- Darwin Gardens car park, Wells Rd, Ilkley LS29 9TF (///seagull.part.submitted)
- Timble. Limited Parking on dirt track off Askwith Moor Road, LS21 2PW. Small car park (small car park at ///flesh.brave.helpfully – approx 5-6cars max)
- Cow & Calf rocks car park, Hangingstone Road, Ilkley, LS29 8RF, (///simulations.breakaway.saucepan)
- Addingham. Road side parking on Bark Lane, Addingham, LS29 0QZ (///masks.belong.songs)
We also sometimes meet at other locations to do some training on the local trails and in parks:
- Roundhay Park, Tram stop car park, Princes Ave, Roundhay, Leeds, LS8 2EP (///beside.bags.gone)
- Adel War Memorial Club, Leeds, LS16 8DE (///accent.lower.badly)
- Harewood Gates, small layby on Wike Lane, LS17 9NG, (///orbit.spurring.trailing)
- Meanwood Park, Green Road Car Park, Leeds, LS6 4LT (///labs.mason.snap)
This list is not exhaustive, so please check the schedule (linked at the top of the page) for other possible locations.